The Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude syllabus reproduced here is based on the latest syllabus provided by the Union Public Service Commission, Government of India. Every effort has been made to ensure that all the information provided is correct. If anything is found incorrect, please report it to firstname.lastname@example.org
UNION PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
CIVIL SERVICES EXAMINATION SYLLABUS
ETHICS, INTEGRITY AND APTITUDE
This paper will include questions to test the candidates’ attitude and approach to issues relating to integrity, probity in public life and his problem solving approach to various issues and conflicts faced by him in dealing with society. Questions may utilize the case study approach to determine these aspects. The following broad areas will be covered:
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, Determinants, and Consequences of Ethics in Human Actions; Dimensions of Ethics; Ethics in private and public relationships. Human Values- Lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; Role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
- Attitude: Content, Structure, Function; its influence and relation with thought and
behavior; Moral and political attitudes; Social influence and persuasion.
- Aptitude and Foundational values for civil services: Integrity, Impartiality and non-partisanship, Objectivity, Dedication to public service, Empathy, Tolerance and compassion towards the weaker-sections.
- Emotional intelligence: Concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
- Public/civil service values and ethics in public administration: Status and problems; Ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions; Laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance; Accountability and ethical governance; Strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance; Ethical issues in international relations and funding; Corporate governance.
- Probity in governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity; Information sharing and transparency in government; Right to Information; Code of Ethics; Code of Conduct; Citizen’s Charters; Work culture; Quality of service delivery; Utilization of public funds; Challenges of corruption.
- Case Studies on above issues
Download Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude syllabus in pdf: ETHICS, INTEGRITY AND APTITUDE SYLLABUS